At Foreland Fields School we are committed to providing high quality Careers Education, Information and Guidance (CEIAG) for young people with special needs. Our vision is to open up the world of work to our students and increase the opportunities our students have in finding paid employment and/or meaningful work experiences.
At Foreland Fields School we believe CEIAG planning should be person centred with the Education Health Care Plans (EHCP) at the centre. We support students to make choices about all aspects of their adult life including, for some, the aspirations to work.
The CEIAG programme starts in Key stage 1 and follows the student throughout the journey at Foreland Fields School (see student information).
In Key Stage 1 and 2 students have the opportunity to:
- Learn about key workers in their community (police/nurse/teacher/shop assistant)
- Visit places of work such as the supermarket, cinema and leisure centre
- Begin to develop basic skills for the world of work such as team work, listening skills and conversational skills.
From Key Stage 3 upwards students have opportunities to:
- Learn about the World of Work as part of their Personal Social Health and Education curriculum
- Visit workplaces or speak to employers virtually or in person
- Attend a next steps event
- Meet with their key teacher to discuss options related to their career pathway.
In Key Stage 4 and 5 students have opportunities to contribute and experience the world of work through:
- Yearly parent/carer meeting prior to their EHCP to discuss their career pathway
- Yearly opportunity to meet the Career Advisor
- Work Experience
- Supported Internship
- Traineeship and Apprenticeships
- For some students a job coach will be provided to help support them on their employment journey.
We continue to monitor students for 3 years after leaving the school to offer support and help ensure our students have a positive and fulfilling future and to allow us to develop future career provision.
Further information about the different options for students can be found by clicking on the below links: