Specialist Further Education Colleges

A specialist further education college provides education for young people with SEN only. Some have residential facilities and provide what is commonly called a "waking day" or "24-hour" curriculum. Some specialist colleges help their students to attend courses in mainstream colleges.

Your child would need an EHC plan to go to a specialist college. You or your child can ask the local authority to name a specialist college in their EHC plan following the annual review. The local authority may refuse your request on the grounds of cost, and it may be necessary to show that there are no alternative cheaper education options available.

For more information about asking for a specialist college to be named in an EHCP, see our webpage Applying for a school place.